It happens quietly at the beginning of each decade, in back rooms and behind closed doors. In this explainer, the League of Women Voters of the Charleston Area lays out what's wrong with our current redistricting process.
H.4456 was prefiled in the SC House of Representatives, sponsored by Representatives Gary Clary, Laurie Funderburk, Beth Bernstein, Jason Elliott, William Wheeler, William Cogswell, and Neal Collins (if your Representative is here, make certain to thank them). It was assigned to the House Committee on the Judiciary, and now it needs a subcommittee hearing.
What can you do?
1. Call your legislator and say you want redistricting reform. Tell them you want:
- An independent commission
- Criteria that doesn't protect parties or incumbents
- A subcommittee hearing as soon as possible to move H.4456 forward! An in-person visit or phone call is more effective than an email.
2. Help inform the community about this important but complicated issue. Members from the LWV are happy to attend community meetings and talk about gerrymandering and redistricting reform. Contact Shayna Howell to set up a speaker. And share our Redistricting Explainer with your networks and on social media!