League of Women Voters®
of the Charleston Area
Making Democracy Work
The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
The League's School Board Project Learn More
- The League has been hard at work on its School Board Project for the past year. This focus on upcoming school board elections is a critical first step to help our children by encouraging the best leaders possible to be candidates for local school boards. The League wants to elevate the conversation around that election and create teams that will help voters understand what is at stake.
Election Central for Voters Learn More
- Rooted in the movement that secured the right to vote for women, the League has worked to foster civic engagement and enhance access to the vote since our organization was founded in 1920. Over time our work has evolved from efforts to gain and foster women's suffrage to ensuring that all eligible voters (particularly those from traditionally underrepresented or underserved communities, including first-time voters, non-college youth, new citizens, minorities and low-income Americans) have the opportunity and the information they need to exercise their right to vote.
View a calendar for local elections and forums with candidates.
Proposed 2018-2019 LWVCA Program Priorities Learn More
- After studying and discussing issues, League members adopt positions, its consensus view on these issues. From the multiple League positions, local League members discuss the priorities they think timely and wise to emphasize for action. After choosing these priorities in planning meetings, they review and adopt them at Annual Meetings as their program for the near future.
Redistricting Reform Learn More
- It happens quietly at the beginning of each decade, in back rooms and behind closed doors. In this explainer, the League of Women Voters of the Charleston Area lays out what's wrong with our current redistricting process.
Calendar of Events Learn More
- The calendar on this page is of general LWV activities, events of community interest, and election dates and forums. View a calendar of only of local elections and forums. All forums are free and open to the public.
The LWV Observer Corps Learn More
- Observer Corps Volunteers attend public meetings in Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties and keep the League up-to-date on current issues in our communities.